It took a strange situation for Jamahal Hill to get a chance to fight for the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship. On Saturday night, Hill capitalized on that opportunity, defeating Glover Teixeira over five rounds via a wide unanimous decision in the main event of UFC 283 to win the title.
Hill wasted little time in showing that he was going to present Teixeira with some serious problems. Hill used a combination of a sharp jab and power punches to open up big kicks to the body and head of the former champion. More important in the early rounds, however, is Hill’s takedown defense. After being knocked down multiple times in his previous fight, Hill easily fended off all of Teixeira’s first-round takedown attempts by TKO of former title challenger Thiago Santos.
Hill hit Teixeira in the second round with a head kick that put Teixeira on the rubber legs, but Teixeira was eventually able to get the first takedown of the fight. Hill was able to survive Teixeira on the ground and hurt him again with a head kick in the third round.
Hill had a flurry in the fourth round that came close to ending the fight, however, as he bombarded Teixeira with punches, sending Teixeira to the canvas. Hill continued to explode near jumping with the referee to stop the fight at several points before the round reached its conclusion.
In the fifth round, Teixeira had grotesque cuts over both eyes, but the doctor cleared the fight to see the final round. Teixeira was able to get an early takedown in the final frame, but Hill was able to survive again and reverse the situation, stripping Teixeira of any last hope of pulling off a Hail Mary and stealing the fight.
Surviving the full distance was a moral victory, as was the damage done to Teixeira, but toughness wasn’t enough to win the fight, and Hill clearly won all five rounds, which was reflected in the final scorecards, each 50-44 in Hill’s favor.
“Where I’m from, to get this is unreal,” an emotional Hill said after the fight. “Anything is possible. Hard work, dedication, accountability. Don’t let anyone tell you anything. A lot of people said I can’t do this, it’s impossible, I have to win one round, I can’t go five. Now what to say?”
After the fight, Teixeira praised Hill’s toughness before hanging up his gloves in the ring, announcing his retirement just hours after fellow MMA legend Mauricio “Shogun” Rua fought the final fight of his own career.
“Honestly, I think I’m too tough for my own good and too tough for my own health. … It’s an honor to put the gloves down on the same night. [Rua].”
CBS Sports was with you all Saturday to bring you all the results and highlights from UFC 283 below.
UFC 283 card and results
- Jamahal Hill def. Glover Teixeira via unanimous decision (50-44, 50-44, 50-44)
- via third-round TKO (doctor’s stoppage)
- Gilbert Burns def. Neil Magney via first-round submission (arm triangle)
- Jessica Andrade def. Lauren Murphy via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-25, 30-26)
- via first round TKO (punches)
- Ihor pottery def. Maurice Rua via first round TKO (punches)
- Bruno Ferreira def. Gregory Rodriguez via first round knockout (punch)
- Thiago Moises dep. Melchisel Costa (neck crank) via second-round submission
- Gabriel Bonfim def. Mounir Lasses via first-round submission (guillotine choke)
- Jailton Almeida def. Shamil Abdurakimov via second round TKO (punches)
- Cody Stamon def. Luan Luis Lacerta via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- via second round knockout (knee).
- Nicholas Dolby def. Warley Alves by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Joseon Nunes def. Zara Fearn via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Daniel Marcos def. Simon Oliveira via second round knockout (strikes)