Mattel teamed up with the National Down Syndrome Society to develop a design New Barbie doll with Down syndrome. Barbie’s physical features, accessories and accessories are meant to reflect what it’s like to live with the condition.
Purchases you make through our links may earn us and our publishing partners a commission.
The toyThe first Barbie with Down syndrome, the company says, wears pink ankle foot orthoses to support the feet and ankles, and several accessories that promote Down syndrome awareness or are commonly used by people with the disorder.
A new toy is part of it Barbie’s 2023 fashion lineThe company describes it as an “inclusive range” of toys “designed to reflect the world children see today”.
“Our goal is to let all kids see themselves in Barbie, while encouraging kids to play with dolls that don’t look like them,” said Mattel Executive Vice President Lisa McKnight. In a press release.
How old is Barbie?:Ahead of ‘Barbie’ movie release, take a look at the doll’s storied history
National Barbie Day:The 64-year-old doll was born to ‘show what women can be’.
New Barbie accessories, wardrobe
In addition to the pink braces she wears on her legs, Barbie Down syndrome is characterized by:
- Her pink pendant necklace. Its three arrows represent how people with Down syndrome have three pairs on their 21st chromosome. The company says on its website.
- Butterflies on her dress. The Down syndrome community has adopted the butterfly as their symbol.
- Blue and yellow dress design. These colors also represent Down syndrome awareness.
- Face and eye shape. Barbie has almond-shaped eyes, which are common among people born with Down syndrome. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Barbie has one Short frame and long torso, According to a Mattel press release.
- Barbie’s face “Has a round shape, small ears and a flat nasal bridge,” the press release says.
- “There is even a line on the doll’s palmsa trait often associated with people with Down syndrome,” the press release states.
What is Down syndrome?
Down syndrome is a condition in which we are born with an extra chromosome, the X-shaped sets that hold our genes.
Children with Down syndrome have an extra copy of one of these chromosomes, chromosome 21.
This extra copy alters the child’s physical and brain development, which can cause mental and physical challenges for the child. According to the CDC.
Each year, about 6,000 babies born in the United States have Down syndrome. This means that Down syndrome occurs in 1 in 700 children. says the CDC.
Although people with Down syndrome can “function and look the same,” each person has different abilities, The CDC says on its website.
“It means so much to our community that, for the first time, we can play with a Barbie doll that looks just like them,” said Kandi Pickard, president and CEO of the National Down Syndrome Society. “This Barbie is a reminder that we should never. Underestimate the power of representation. This is a huge step forward for inclusion and a moment we celebrate.