Cats take first blood

Flyers lose steam after first period

Nick O'Dea
Published on February 6, 2016

The Gander Flyers and the Grand Falls Cataracts took each other head on at the Joe Byrne Memorial Stadium Saturday in a night of aggressive, sometimes dirty hockey that saw the Grand Falls-Windsor Cataracts come out the victors with 6 to 2 victory.

The Flyers’ hit the score board first with a goal by Andrew Ryan in the first frame. The Cats quickly tied it up with a goal by Mike Brent. They then stole the lead on a goal by Rodi Short. The Cataracts appeared to have increased their lead but a goal was waved off by the referee.

Ray Dalton was able to tie it up for the Flyers heading into the second period.

Early in the second, Cataracts’ Short made quick work of the Flyers’ defense and made the score 3-2 o his second of the game. Kyle McGuirk added to the Cataracts lead in the second period putting them ahead 4-2.

Cam Fergus added another goal for the Cataracts in the third as the Flyers seemed to have run out of steam. Mike Brent rounded out the scoring with the game’s final goal.

A scuffle between Arron Asham and Brad Lewis was quickly broken up and the two received 10 minute misconduct penalties that sent them off the ice for the final six minutes of the game. Neither player dropped the gloves so no further punishment is expected.

Gander Flyers General Manager Garry White said the team was prepared for some competitive hockey and expected nothing to be handed to them.

“We knew coming in this playoff series it would be tough,” White said. “We are the underdogs after all, in last place and they are the top team in the league. We knew it wasn’t going to be easy.”

Cataracts assistant coach Brian Tremblett said the team followed the game-plan and made the Flyers work every second on the ice.

“We wanted to see fast-paced, aggressive periods. We wanted to control every shift and not let up,” he said. “The whole team is healthy so we were able to play our best.”

The teams will continue the series Sunday 1:30 p.m. at the Joe Byrne Memorial Stadium.