Cats bag two playoff games on the road

Now 3-1 in series against Corner Brook Royals

Dave Kearsey
Published on March 15, 2012
Even on the road the Cats draw tons of support from local fans, as shown by this picture, which was taken on Sunday night’s game against the Royals at the Pepsi Centre in Corner Brook. The Cats won both games over the weekend, and are now 3-1 in their series against the Royals. See B1 for the full story.
Geraldine Brophy photo/Transcontinental Media

A weekend to forget.

That's the only way the Corner Brook Royals can respond to losing twice on home ice to the Grand Falls-Windsor Cataracts over the weekend.

The Cataracts took a 3-1 stranglehold on the Newfoundland Senior Hockey League best-of-seven semifinal series with a 6-0 victory over the Royals in Game 4 Sunday at the Pepsi Centre. The Cataracts eked out a 4-3 victory over the Royals in Game 3 Saturday night.

Chris Peach, a former Deer Lake Red Wings forward, scored the eventual game-winner at 9:59 of the opening period when he one-timed a nifty pass from Ryan Penney high over the catching glove of Royals' goalie Brad Dyke on his off-wing.

Ryan Penney scored a power-play goal for the Cats with just under four minutes left in the first period to give the Cats a 2-0 advantage heading into the first intermission.

Mike Sibley scored the only goal of the second period at 1:51 when he stripped a Royals' defender of the puck at the side of the net and fired a wrist shot past an unsuspecting Dyke from a difficult angle.

The Cats didn't waste any time putting the game out of reach in the third period, Chad Earle tapping in the puck into a yawning cage after the puck came out in front of the net from a shot fired wide must 66 seconds into the period. Tyler Whitehead and Matt Quinn added goals in the third period as Mark Yetman turned aside 32 shots to preserve the shutout for the Cataracts.

Meanwhile, the top-seed Clarenville Caribous lead the Eastlink CeeBee Stars three games to one after registering two wins at the S. W. Moores Memorial Arena in Harbour Grace over the weekend.

The Caribous eked out a 3-2 win over the CeeBee Stars Saturday night to take over the driver's seat in the best-of-seven affair with Jason Churchill picking up the win in goal after giving way to Devin O'Brien in Game 3 Friday night because Churchill was in bed at the hotel sick with a flu virus.

O'Brien picked up the W in Friday's 7-6 win in an entertaining contest that ended when Brandon Roche scored the Caribous with 20 seconds left in regulation time and overtime looming.

Both series resume Friday night with the Royals and CeeBee Stars facing elimination. The Royals will face off against the Cataracts at the Joe Byrne Memorial Stadium on Friday night at 8 p.m., and, if necessary, in Corner Brook at the Pepsi Centre the following evening.