It’s time for another edition of Getting Grilled with Food Dude.
March’s “grillee” is my awesome aunt, Karen Shano, who agreed to share her recipe for one of the easiest, most delicious treats that can be made in less than five minutes – Mars Bar Squares.
Food Dude: Where and when did you first discover Mars Bar Squares? Give us the scoop.
Aunt Karen: At my work, Wrigley’s in Ontario. This was around 14 years ago. A coworker from here in Newfoundland brought them into work one day and I tried them.
FD : What did you think of them when you tried them?
AK: Too good. I tried to hide them all from the rest of the team. Next thing I did was ask for the recipe.
FD: Would you say they’re a Newfoundland-based treat or did it originate from somewhere else?
AK: Hmmm. I’m not too sure, Terry. But it seems like when we moved back home a lot of people already knew about them.
FD: Well, I did a little research and it turns out they were invented in the U.S. around the same time Mars itself became a popular candy bar and microwave ovens were becoming commonplace. But I guess it took its sweet time getting up our way.
AK: Oh wow! That’s cool! So you like them, eh? They’re moreish aren’t they?
FD: The moreish-est. Do they keep well?
AK: They do! Especially when frozen, and they’re awesome summer treats when they’re fresh out of the freezer on a hot day.
FD: Sounds like you really like them. Are they your favourite?
AK: I have to say yes. Before that it was cream puffs or lemon pies. I love these so much not just because they’re delicious, but because they’re so simple and quick to make too!
FD: My last question is, if you had the opportunity to give these squares another name, what would you call them?
AK: Moreish Squares, because you always want more! Don’t even know if that’s a word. I always use it when I love something.
Aunt Karen’s Moreish Squares
- 4 cups Rice Krispies
- 4 Mars bars
- 4 Aero bars
- ½ cup butter
- 3 tbsps. oil
- Place 4 cups Rice Krispies in a large bowl.
- Cut Mars bars into quarters and place in a microwavable bowl with butter. Microwave for 45 seconds on high. Stir with a fork to fully melt.
- Combine with Rice Krispies and blend until smooth. Layer evenly in greased casserole dish.
- Break Aero bars apart and melt in microwavable bowl on high for about 45 seconds. Stir with a fork to fully melt.
- Scoop and smooth chocolate over top of Rice Krispy layer and cool in refrigerator for three to four hours. Cut and serve.