Kiss rocks Salmon Festival crowd

David
David Newell
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Even in a driving rain, they had explosions and fireworks.

Members of iconic rock group Kiss, Gene Simmons, Tommy Thayer, Paul Stanley and Eric Singer (back) were the headliners at this past weekend’s Salmon Festival in Grand Falls-Windsor. More than 20,000 fans endured a driving rain that started just prior to the band’s two-hour show.

Rock icons Kiss, including founding members Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley, did not disappoint throngs of fans that converged on Grand Falls-Windsor for this year’s Salmon Festival concert Saturday night.

After opening acts Fefe Dobson, The Orchestra, Down With Webster and Smashmouth played under sunny skies, clouds moved in as if on cue, but the crowd’s enthusiasm shone through.

The headliners, known for their outlandish makeup and costumes and spectacular pyrotechnics, performed many of their hits, including “Shout It Out Loud,” “Detroit Rock City,” and “Beth”.

Grand Falls-Windsor Mayor Al Hawkins said the event was huge for the town.

“Grand Falls-Windsor is a concert centre,” he said. “We are pretty happy. When you look at the amount of money people will leave in the town, we are happy.”

Simmons’ partner, Newfoundland-born Shannon Tweed, with whom he stars in their reality television show, “Gene Simmons Family Jewels”, accompanied him to the event.

While official numbers are not yet known, estimates put the crowd in excess of 20,000. Visitors to the town more than doubled its population overnight, and hotel rooms in the central Newfoundland region have been sold out since the event was announced several months ago.

Police reported no major incidents as of the end of the concert, either at the Centennial Field venue or in Grand Falls-Windsor itself, however overwhelming demand for product in the beer garden at one point in the evening required intervention by security staff and RCMP.

More major acts are expected for Salmon Festivals in the coming years, as the town council in Grand Falls-Windsor recently signed a five-year contract with Moncton-based SRO Entertainment to co-ordinate the event.

Organizations: RCMP, SRO Entertainment

Geographic location: Newfoundland, Detroit Rock, Grand Falls

• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

• Kim
    July 12, 2011 - 08:21

Hats off to GFW,the whole concert was amazing.There was not one band there that I didn't enjoy,they all rocked.KISS was amazing of course,even got Paul Stanley's guitar pick..woot woot.The whole day and night was great and I think all the staff did a wonderful job.Can't wait to see whats in store for us next year.Thanks GFW!

• Kim
    July 12, 2011 - 08:18

• Kim
    July 12, 2011 - 08:15

• Jager
    July 11, 2011 - 20:06

For all the people complaining about the long lines up the number 1 resaon these lines were sooo long is from all you fools standing in line complaining!! Rules are rules, if security had of done there job and kept in line in order, it would have been a lot easier to get people in and out with there beer.... and for all you people with left over tickets there was no line up for the last hour of the concert, the berr garden was closed about 20 minutes... i think the beer gardens did a great job conderdering the number of people they had and the number of people that attended the concert

• me
    July 11, 2011 - 19:28

great concert people stop whining

• Chris Baker
      July 12, 2011 - 06:47

Kiss was awesome. But I must agree with many, the organisation was very poor. I saw Meatloaf in PEI 1 week earlier, with a similiar crowd. Beer tent was 3 times the size. ! set of tickets for buying food, beer, etc kept it simple, withno need to buy multiple types of tickets. Spoke to RCMP on way out even they said they were misinformed on number of people expected. Also using teenage kids as security!!!! I am sure they could have hired a firm to put security in place. Would I go again? Of course. The organisers should read these comments and see them for what they are, not everyone is whinging, some feel that constructive criticism can help improve things

• God of Thunder
      July 12, 2011 - 11:57

Well. Well. Well I went to that concert for one thing only. That was to see KISS! Although all the bands were awesome, KISS gave an epic performance. The show was without a doubt, amazing!!! Hats off to the rcmp police presence. Didn't see even so much as a scuffle or an arguement. Maybe next time they will spray beer from helicopters to keep all the drunks topped up! Lol!

• Noella
    July 11, 2011 - 13:21

Loved it....Kiss knocked it out of the park with the concert......it was the best concert I have ever been at.....Rain..Beer..Bathrooms...what the heck -----the CONCERT was FANTASTIC....Grand Falls - Windsor you rock .......well done....

• cindy
      July 11, 2011 - 16:15

I never seen the concert but i heard it was great ....alot of people didnt like the croud in the beer gardens,,,but oh will......

• Jager
      July 11, 2011 - 20:02

• sandra
      July 12, 2011 - 16:11

I Agree! 100% totally awesome!! we loved it and would go again..Rain or not it was great!!!!

• Jennifer
    July 11, 2011 - 10:26

I anticipated massive line-ups and filthy port-a-potties, so we ate at home before the show, drank as little as possible (to avoid the need to pee), and resolved to have a beer AFTER the show. And guess what? It worked! We had a blast. As a Grand Falls-Windsor native who now lives in New Brunswick, I have to say that I was amazed and so impressed with how cheerful and courteous the crowd was. I saw no pushing and shoving, no obvious drunkenness, no rudeness. All in all, it was a fantastic night, one we will be talking about for years! I especially liked the fact that Paul Stanley pronounced "Newfoundland" perfectly. I am no huge KISS fan, but those guys know how to put on a top-notch show.

• Lorne Janes
    July 11, 2011 - 10:25

For those who whined and complained about beer gardens and food and weather ,Knock off your complaining. I 'd say you are the same people that complain if a Mcdonalds lineup is to long lol. Hats off to Grandfalls Winsor. Bring on IRONMAIDEN next. The Fest was amazing. Rain and all, their is nobody made of sugar. I honestly think that KISS enjoyed performing in the heavy rain. I say Kiss can count on one hand how many times they played in the rain. WHOOOOOOOOO!!!!! That made it kind of special for them . It really shows that Grandfalls Winsor is for real when it comes to putting off a major entertainment event. Thanks Grandfalls Winsor.

• NPW
    July 11, 2011 - 09:27

Note to editors comment. I understand that but to relieve the amount of beer cans on the field, Blue Bins would have been ideal.I brought my cans back to the beer tent...If people seen Blue Bins they would use them.Again...Just a thought!

• LD
    July 11, 2011 - 09:13

Kiss done an amazing job. Loved every minute of their performance. The performace of the Salmon Festival organizers, not so much. Not sure how hard it was to get food, as I did not bother with it. The washroom I didn't find so bad, being a guy. But I can imagine it must have been very frustrating for the women. The beer garden was a total scam. Whoever organized it knew exactly what they were doing. At the beginning it was a massive line up for beer tickets so everyone bought lots. Then the line up for beer was even bigger and then they cut it down to 4 at a time, then two!! Made it absolutly impossible to get the beer that you have already paid for. Many people left with 6$ tickets, while the organizers kept the beer that we have already paid for. Scam!!! Even when Kiss was performing the beer garden really cleared out, which would make it easy to get beer, or so one would think. Then they decided to cut it down to one single line at the bar, making it just as long as earlier to get a beer. Again, scam!!! Something should definately be put in place for refunds. Keep your ticktes people until something is done. I have been talking to people who are actually bringing this issue to the NTV news. Lets see if the organizers own up to their huge mistake.

• Val
      July 11, 2011 - 22:35

I agree with this. There was alot of profit made from us people in the Beer tents. Their excuse to cutting down the limit from 4 to 2 was that there was a shortage. They cannot sell more tickets then beer we know that. So where was all the money that people had prepaid for their drinks? I know the lineups were crazy at the Beer tent, I myself waited in the line for an hour just to get 2? I didnt think it was fair and so did alot of others...If i had to have known at the start when i bought my drink tickets that i couldnt fill them all i would not have bought as many. I think it was a complete rip off...I emailed the company and told them the same. Something should be done about it. Other than that the rest of the concert was amazing.

• TLAP
    July 11, 2011 - 09:04

I didn't go for the food... I didn't go for the beer.... I went for the music... and I had a blast... best show I have ever seen... and I don't think I will ever see anything like what KISS pulled off... wow... just amazing. If you are mad because you couldn't get food or beer in a timely fashion. Then here's a tip that goes for all outdoor events (and I been to plenty)... EAT AND DRINK BEFORE YOU GO. Seriously... its sad to come here and read that you're pissed because you couldn't get a beer or a plate of fries...might be time to reevaluate your life if something like that upsets you.... small things...... that's all I'm saying.

• lori
    July 11, 2011 - 08:53

whats with all the complainin!!! my gawd people you expect this at a huge concert! I have nothing to complain about... we drove 6 hours to get there we staying in our camper in a driveway offered to us by a stranger we walked the half hour to the concert and we had fun we don't drink so the bear tent was a non issue, we ate before the show so we wouldn't be hungry and i drank water earlier in the day so i'ld be pee'd out by the time I got there so I only had to use the facilities" once.. and yes the ladies trailer was a great addition even if there was a flooded toilet all over the floor and no soap an no toilet paper but i was prepared with tissues in my purse, gortex sneakers and hand sanitizer lol we even had poncho's for the rain.. if your prepared for what comes at ya you'll get through anything .. why blame others if your not prepared for?? I thought it was a well organized event I had fun and got home safe!

• Darrin
    July 11, 2011 - 08:50

I've got to say the show started off pretty cold with Fefe Dobson (if she ever performs in NL again I'd be surprised) but by the time Down with Webster got up and got everyone alive smashmouth carried it well. Unfortunately I didn't get to see kiss. My friends and myself were all sunburned from earlier in the day (our own fault...waited to long to apply sunblock). By the time KISS got on stage and it was already pouring for an hour we were frozen standing there in shorts and a t-shirt....(Why didn't we take a change of clothes???) Because we were all told we couldnt bring in bags for a matter of fact you weren't allowed to bring just about anything, yet every where I looked everyone had bags. We were frozen and couldn't leave to get warmer clothing because we were told we couldn't re-enter. Also I know everyone has different tastes in music but the crowd must agree with me, the fans were all but asleep until DWW. It's sad when you look at it, the concert started at 3 PM and until 6:30 it wasn't even worth showing up to. All the organizers knew just as well as the fans did that it was calling for rain. I understand the way they built the lineup of performances the fans were really getting into it before KISS was scheduled to come on...but really knowing the rain was coming and knowing everyone paid over $100 for a ticket with KISS's name on it you think they'd juggle the lineup so that everyone could see the headliner. I know just before smashmouth, there was no room anywhere, the crowd was huge...we waited about a half hour-45 mins after smashmouth ended before we just couldn't take it and had to leave and the saddest part is, it's not like KISS are going to be around much longer. We weren't the only ones that packed up and left, on the way out I didn't have to wait for people to move or push my way through a crowd. Suggestion for next year, either get less performers, narrow their stage time, or just be smart. It's NL folks we are lucky when we don't get 4 seasons in the one day so have backup plans and let people see what it is they actually went to see. I'm sure no matter where I post a complaint no one will listen...all they care about is the 4 t-shirts I bought and the 6 food tickets we didn't get to use all of and the $107.50 for the ticket. P.S. it seems more efforts were made to make this a more family oriented concert and that I understand but if that's the case, why does it seem that the performers came here expecting something altogether different, and to make it worse why bring Thomas Amusements to town if you're trying to get kids out to a concert?

• CW
    July 11, 2011 - 07:55

Get over it, some people like to drink beer at concerts. That's the way it is and the way it always will be. I'm not upset about not being able to buy beer so much as the fact I spent $90 on beer tickets without being warned about the insanity of the bar line-up OR that I could only buy four beers at a time. No refunds offered, either. Doubt I'll ever attend Salmon Fest again, not worth the money no matter how amazing the band.

• someone who worked there
      July 11, 2011 - 09:36

In all defense, I don't think anyone put much thought into what the crowd would be like in the beer garden. I was working there and yes it was madness. I think next year things would be a lot different. And yes people drink at a concert, but as soon as you seen the beer lines you knew that it was going to be a long wait. There was around 30 000 people there. what do you expect.

• Ticket Seller
    July 11, 2011 - 07:52

Due to the massive crowds (couldn't get to promoter) and KISS actually beginning their set earlier than scheduled the winning 50/50 did not get announced. The winning # was 0 5 4 0 0. Someone with Cats organization posted it on Facebook. I think it will be posted on the town's website as well and a notice will be put in the paper. contact cataracts@bellaliant.net to claim.

• Ticket Seller
    July 11, 2011 - 07:48

• RBBoy
    July 11, 2011 - 07:07

I have attended alot of Concerts across Atlantic Canada and with the exception of 1 other (Molson Canadian Rocks, Mount Pearl 8-9 years ago) never witnessed anything as poorly organized as this event. The whole night was spent in line for food, beer, washrooms, etc. leaving no time to actually enjoy the show. An when I finally I got out of line and tried to find the 30 people in our group our beloved Bell Aliant stepped in and topped of the night with dropped calls, failed text messages. I am not a person to complain, but after reading these comments I'm glad others feel the same way. I am attending the Rock the Hill Concert in Halifax this thursday and knowing from past experience will not face the problems of the Salmonfest. On a positive note, KISS done a awesome show as always and look forward to seeing many other great bands. Please Grand Falls make the improvements for next year to make Salmon Fest the Greatest Concert of the Summer.

• GJB
    July 10, 2011 - 21:05

Sorry...you should be lucky that there is a BEER GARDEN. I wish people would stop whining about the BEER GARDEN!! Most times it causes trouble anyway (fights, drinking and driving, etc) Enjoy the music and the crowds. Food and Beverage vendors...maybe more stratigically placed I agree!!! But no matter what they do it is never going to be right, no matter how hard they try!!!! People will always complain about it!!! Be lucky we have concerts like this here!!! we could have nothing!!!!

• amy
      July 11, 2011 - 09:30

I was on security and I have to admit, it was hectic. There should have been more tents in the beer garden, but in the end it was amazing. People should be thankful that there was beer. I was working from 7 in the morning till 12:00 that night with no break. That was painful. So please people, the people that were there to provide for you did their best. You got to see a amazing show so be thankful! I am sure in the future they will organize this better.

• KT
    July 10, 2011 - 20:50

Reply to Joe Smith: As I had mentioned these line ups were also for food, not only for beer! I myself, along with the rest of my group were not waisted and were also there to enjoy the concert in the right state of mind, however maybe a plate of fries or a water would have been nice!! We all know that no matter what the event there will always be little glitches here and there, but this organizing was a bit ridiculous! 1) Having working traffic lights might have helped with the massive amount of vehicles trying to leave safely; 2) Having shuttle buses to help get people home safely; 3) Having more security to help those who are being overwhelmed and over ran but the crowd....It's not all about the beer, it's about having a smooth, safe time for everyone involved!!!!

• Christine
      July 10, 2011 - 22:15

I will never go to Grandfalls again for a concert... just VERY poor effort on those who organized this farce. I drove 4 hrs, stayed in a crappy motel with NO running water...I stood in line 1 hr 20mins for beer tickets ( it's a rock concert - I want a beer folks), then another hour to get my luke warm beverage, later I spent 55 mins to get in line for the bathroom. The pouring rain I can excuse - it's mother nature after all, but the utter lack of organization was pitiful....Thank God Kiss was Amazing!!!! They were worth all the agony!! If I'm going to spend the money on a concert like I did for this one, maybe a flight to Halifax or Moncton would be a better deal, and a better event.

• Central Girl
    July 10, 2011 - 20:33

Salmon Fest Line up was great! For the number of people who were on the field it and in the beer tent things went mostly without a problem. Yes the line ups were horrendous, but for the size of the location and the number of people, it could have been worse. I think people have forgotten that the town has basically given up control of the salmon fest, an independent company took control of security, food, beer tent....etc. and well this is their first year doing so....its a learning experience for all. I cannot wait to see the line up for next year!

• Mary
    July 10, 2011 - 20:11

The entertainment was wonderful. As so many others have already mentioned, the lineups for everything was ridiculous. There was enough money made on that concert to have more staff selling beer tickets and serving the beer. Who's bright idea was it anyway to change the rules and stop serving 4 beer at a time and only allowing 2 to be served? For all those who walked away with beer tickets in their pockets who has their beer in their fridge. The beer was paid for so I'm sure someone took it. The inventory only had to match the amount sold, right? The Town should refund money to those who never used their tickets. The Town Council knew there would be over 20,000 people there so you should of been better prepared and had more vendours. The washroom facilities were disgusting!

• LS
    July 10, 2011 - 20:11

The concert it self was a success. KISS rocked it, but the beer garden was a disaster. I waited 2.5 hours to get beer. When reaching the counter was told that I could only fill 2 tickets at a time. Needless to say that was all I drank. They could have made so much more money on beer. The line up to get into the beer garden took an hour. This has to be fixed for next year. Not enough food vendors. They also need to look at hiring maybe school buses to get people home. There are not enough taxis in Grand Falls-Windsor to handle the amount of people on a normal Salmon Festival.

• CBrown
    July 10, 2011 - 19:36

I am also very disappointed with the concert organization and surprised, as others have said, that after all these years of hosting Salmon Fest, organizers didn't plan things better to accomodate a crowd of 20 000+. Beer service was unbeleivable bordering on dangerous!!! After almost an hour in the ticket line we spent 2 hours sandwiched in a crowd of very anxious and impatient people and I only got out with one drink in tact, the rest got spilled and knocked out of my hands trying to get through the crowd. We never ever even saw a food vendor because we wasted too much time trying to get a beer then find each other again. The worst part for us though was trying to get home afetrwards. We spent 2 hours after the concert walking around in the rain, freezing to death, unable to reach a cab...it was just terrible. I attended an ACDC concert in New Brunswick with 85000 and it was awesome. Tons of food vendors, several beer ticket booths and concert workers actually working the crowd with coolers full of beer. They also had a very well organized bus shuttle service with school buses that helped people get home safely. If Salmon Fest is planning to continue with big bands and drawing these large crowds, then organizers really needs to have some sit down meetings with the big boys and find out exactly how to do this right...for the sake of the patrons. Thank God Kiss was awesome otherwise it would have been a total disaster!!!

• MikeD
      July 10, 2011 - 20:53

Kiss pulled off a show that the people on this island truly deserved and fully appreciated. Even through frigid temperatures and pouring rain the majority of the crowd suffered through to enjoy one of the most entertaining shows we have ever had. As for the organization, waiting in a beer tent lineup for two to three hours was ridiculous. While being convinced to purchase as many overpriced beer tickets as possible, these rendered to be useless pieces of paper. Only when you finally reach the front of the line we discovered we were entitled to a four beer maximum. No one in the right mind is going to spend the entire concert lining up and fighting through crowds to enjoy a few beer that will most likely get knocked out of your hand anyways. Lucky for the Salmon Fest organizers we weren't in our right minds. Outside of the event disorganization, and the lack of signs and guidance in the city for the travelers driving and walking through town, praying to find their way to a massive event and back to shelter without getting stuck at a road block or taking a wrong turn. Kiss rocked that concert like there was no tomorrow. These boys have the show down to a science and we'll never forget it.

• Kissfan
    July 10, 2011 - 19:20

the concert was great!!! keep the good rock and roll bands coming! The only negative thing about the concert for me was the security. I was in the dead front and was pushed around by a bunch of drunk punks and nothing was done about it... even after i complained several times to security about it. Other then that.. wicket show!

• Jay
    July 10, 2011 - 19:16

Beer graden was just terrible. No excuss from the organizers for this, you would think after decades of having a concert there they would know better. Real shame

• sandra
      July 10, 2011 - 19:32

The concert was amazing, but the organization sucked...the Salmon Fest always draw a crowd, and with Kiss performing they should have known it was going to be hectic...lining up for over an hour for a drink, or even for a plate of fries was nuts! Definitly could have had two bars set up, and a better set up for getting drink/food tickets...after lining up for so long to get a drink and then trying to get back thru the crowd with your drink only to be wasted was frustrating to say the least....lets hope next years organizers can figure out a better way of dealing with it!

• Andrew
    July 10, 2011 - 19:05

I agree the beer gardens was run very poorly, waiting 2-3 hours to get tickets and beer, and was told 4 beer at a time, but while we waited in line they changed it to only allowed 2 beer at a time!!! Myself and many others still have beer tickets we paid for and couldn't use do to this poor organization and would like refunds. Who do we talk to for refunds???

• Amanda
    July 10, 2011 - 18:20

Does anyone know the winning 50/50 draw number? Where & When was/is it going to be announced????????

• Jane
      July 10, 2011 - 21:49

I contacted the number printed on the ticket, and I was told it was the wrond number....now what do we do?

• Amanda
    July 10, 2011 - 18:20

• Arlene
      July 10, 2011 - 19:54

there is a number on your ticket to call & get the winning number on monday!!

• KT
    July 10, 2011 - 17:38

Seeing KISS perform was amazing and they definitely helped us end off our night on a positive note! My overall experience however, when it comes to the actual set up of this concert was beyond disappointing!! There were line ups everywhere you looked, hundreds of people lining up to get served by half a dozen employees was just absolutely ridiculous! Who wants to stand in line for a hour just to get a ticket for food/beer and then stand in the another line to actually get the food/beer for another hour!! Get real!! Having entertainment such as KISS come to our town is a great accomplishment but knowing for months and months that this many people were expected to show up there is no excuse for the unorganized set up!! We are lucky there were no major incidents, I am still shocked as to how that didn't happen!

• KT
    July 10, 2011 - 17:19

• Steve Ryan
    July 10, 2011 - 17:13

Excellent performance by all acts (Especially Kiss) Beverage Garden was a disaster 1 hour plus wait in line to buy tickets and 1 hour wait plus in another line to get your beverage...Seven or Eight ticket windows is simply not enough for a concert of over 20,000 people...This was my first trip to the Salmon Festival and I would have thought after putting off this event for over a decade now that BIG problems like this would be fixed by now.I attended the Kiss Concert in Halifax in 2008 with 35,000 people and there was so many concession stands and places to buy beverages that line ups were really small.

• james
    July 10, 2011 - 16:34

david: its not all about the all mighty dollar. the mayor and his buddies on high street should realize that public safety must come first. residents who pay tax and don't attend garbage like this should be able to walk the sidewalks without being harrassed by a bunch of drunken punks.

• John
      July 11, 2011 - 00:35

Now thats a bit excessive.. calling it garbage. just because you dont like something doesnt mean you need to insult it, the drunks can be handled by police and security, go complain to them about it. dont post worthless comments insulting others interests, when in fact if you could use that time volunteering with youth or something. do something other than just while like a girl. noone cares. just sayin. umadbro?

• hi
    July 10, 2011 - 16:22

I know there was lost revenue due to the long line ups! We decided to not have any beers due to that fact! There needed to be better access to tickets and beer. I also exected more gas bars and stores to be opened after the concert. But with that said the concert was AWESOME!!

• PP
    July 10, 2011 - 15:45

agreed ... even thou i never drank or stood in those lines missed alot of t he concert looking for friends that ended up in these ridiculous lines .. 4 people working the ticket booth with crowds as large as they were was nuts .. alot of time was wasted on these lines . that should have been spend enjoying the concert .. someone shouldnt have to wait over 2 hrs for a beer .. plus the cans were pre opened making half the beer taste flat by the time u got it .. and 7.50 for a can of crap .. i say good thing i dont drink .. over all the show was still pretty awesome even with all the rain :) i think the beer garden would be everyones complaint this yr cus rain u cant help .. stupidity u can

• Annette
      July 11, 2011 - 08:01

Kiss was amazing and gave a great performance, otherwise organizing for food and beverages was poorly organized. As people have said, it was a rock concert, people want to have a beverage. The lineup to get tickets for the beer was very available and easy to get to, buttttttttttt getting the beer tickets filled was a major endeavor. I have $50.00 worth of tickets left due to fact could not get through the line up. The line up to redeem the tickets kept getting reduced as the line got longer. At $6.00 a ticket, somebody made a killing on those tickets that did not get redeemed. Definitely will be looking to have these redeemed now in the form of cold hard cash. Very ticked about this, I would suggest that all those people who have tickets left which absolutely could not be cashed in, call salmon festival organizers and demand a refund.

• PP
    July 10, 2011 - 15:43

• Newbie
    July 10, 2011 - 15:24

Not impressed with the beer garden !! My first Salmon Festival and possibly my last due to the poor organization ... Over an hour wait for $6 beer tickets, then another hour plus wait....only to be told you can have 4 beer at a time... Got so fed up sold the tickets and never spent a dime after... not good PR

• Kiss Fan
    July 10, 2011 - 15:14

I just don't understand why they were not better prepared. There was not enough of anything - not enough bathroom facilities, food vendors - not just beer! You would think that Grand Falls would learn after having how many salmon festivals now??? Shameful!!

• gandergirl
    July 10, 2011 - 14:31

I thought the event was awesome!!! We got wet... but Kiss rocked!!! I go to concerts without any expectation of the "perfect" set-up for everything. Over all... I thought it went over well. No doubt the organizers will change a few things for the next event, but "hats off guys" this event was huge! Yes...there's some who is gonna complain however good you can pull something off.. I can't wait to see who's coming next!

• gandergirl
    July 10, 2011 - 14:30

• Sharon Guy
    July 10, 2011 - 14:06

I would like to say that this was my first time ever attending the Salmon Fest & I can guarantee you that it won't be the last. The bands were spectacular!!! no complaints, no regrets....well worth the money. C'mon next year with more great acts.....

• PDG
    July 10, 2011 - 11:18

The beer garden was absoutly rediciolus, If that is what we have to look foward to for the next 5 years...no thanks!!. understaffed ticket windows and bar caused for unecessary 2 hour line ups and pushing and shoving, all of which could have been avoidable with a better set up.

• Tinag
      July 10, 2011 - 14:27

I don't think beer should be served there, ppl think they are going in there and getting right on the beer well if you got 20,000-30,000 ppl in one place waiting 2 hours is just a part of it.. so If ppl cant act their age and if u want a beer line up without starting trouble.. theres no need of fighting over it.. Can't wait to see who is coming here next year.. got a feeling its going to be GOOD!!

• Kim
      July 10, 2011 - 14:30

The multiple line ups to ENTER the bar is a great idea.. but people shouldnt' have to come back the same way to leave... multiple line ups IN, and one large fluid way OUT... keeps from having to fight the crowd OUT after you've been served

• Colleen Rose
      July 10, 2011 - 15:04

We had food tickets and stood in line for 40 min. when we finally got there they didn't take the tickets only cash. Needless to say some things were a rip off $18.00 for food ticket we couldn't use $4.00 for Pop and $3.00 for water was alittle expensive.They were not organized at all. Waiting in line ups is to be expected but to wait in line ups of a hundred or more is a bit much .The only thing worth the money was the entertainment .

• Joe smith
      July 10, 2011 - 15:06

Why all the fuss over a beer tent? I think it's ridiculous that people HAVE to have beer above all else at any event that ever goes on. Better to enjoy an event in your right mind and remember it for years to come. Not waisted and remeber nothing at all about it!!

• lana
      July 10, 2011 - 16:01

totally agree there were not enough ticket booths and it was under staffed at the bar!!..too CRAZY and somewhat disappointed!!.I also waited almost 2 hours...actually they lost money there...everything else was Fantastic!!

• steve cook
      July 10, 2011 - 17:59

The beer garden was a disgrace. I am very surprised that nobody was seriously injured. At one point I noticed a young lady pass out and fall to the ground. nobody was helping her as she was being trampled into the ground. a friend of mine went over to clear the crowd a get the girl up off the ground. There was in excess of a three hour wait to get a beer. I have been to many concerts with crowds of 60,000 to 86,000( rolling Stones in Moncton) and was much more organized than the mere 20,000 people that were in Grand Falls-Windsor. Bands were awesome concert organization disgraceful.

• NPW
      July 10, 2011 - 18:56

What I found a joke was the amount of empty cans and bottles on the Beer Garden Field...I saw 2 garbage cans and NOT ONE Recycling Bin to put cans or bottles into.Beer cans can be returned for deposit...Maybe the money collected can go to a local charity...Just a thought!

• Advertiser Editor
      July 10, 2011 - 19:20

Editor's note: As in previous years, the Grand Falls-Windsor Town Council approved a charity to enter the venue following the event to collect recyclables in order to return them for recycling and the deposit.